Thursday, March 27, 2014

The best & craziest baptismal service ever!

I think one of the things that I love most about being a missionary is how entitled to revelation we are as missionaries. One of the things about Kentucky, is that no one knows how to give good directions… or in some cases how to put their house number on their house! So, sometimes we have a difficult time locating investigators, referrals, or members. So many times, we have been able to find places because of the Spirit. I am so grateful Heavenly Father has the back roads of Kentucky figured out because I sure don't! I have seen miracle after miracle of how we seem to find places that don't have addresses or street signs and it is only by the Spirit that we do.


My district out in McKee on P-day.
 

This week we were supposed to teach C (the homeless investigator), but he called and canceled our appointment because he was having a really rough time. He got most of his stuff stolen and only owns 2 outfits now. We knew we needed to see him anyway, but didn’t know where to find him. So, we said a prayer and started driving. As we were driving, we passed this abandoned house and felt a strong impression that that’s where he was. We knocked, but no one answered. We felt like we had failed, but a few minutes later C texted us and asked if it had been us who had knocked. He agreed to meet with us and we were able to talk with him about some of his problems and concerns. (He had gotten drunk and passed out in this house. We talked to drunk C for two hours that day. It was sad and not fun at all.) He definitely has a long way to go, but as soon as he chooses to fully live the commandments, I know his life will improve so much!! 

But being a mom to adult children who are old enough to be my parents basically describes my mission right now.

We also taught Mrs D this week. Last time we were on a blitz, Sister D and I were down in a part of our area that is way, far out that I hadn’t even been in since I’ve been here! Because we happened to be in the area, we decided to stop by and try and see a less active man we’d never met. He hadn’t been to church in years, and doesn’t remember very much. His wife, however, is a non-member and a good christian woman. She expressed interest in The Book of Mormon and so this week we went back to teach her. She is so prepared!! She says that she had been trying to get her husband into a church for a very long time, but he would never come. Finally, she prayed that God would get her husband and their family into a church –whichever church he wanted them in. Not long after that, we showed up!! Which is crazy because they live waaaay far out in a part of our area we never had been in. She’s really into genealogy and is willing to drive to church even though it’s a 45 minute drive for them. One thing that I really admire about this part of the country, is that there are so many faithful Christians. There is a lot of bad going on in the world, but there’s also a ton of good people who do so much to further the work of the Lord. 







♥ Sister S, K & I on one of the happiest day of mission so far. ♥


This week, we also baptized K!!! It was definitely the craziest baptismal service I’ve ever been to. He’s great!! Right after he came up out of the water, he let out this loud Indian yell!! It was the funniest thing. He also did a similar one after he was confirmed in sacrament meeting. Oh well, I guess the stake speakers we had will now have a fun story to tell their families. The hand that he should have plugged his nose with, he raised to the square. Sister S and I were dying!! But he was very happy and is excited to do genealogy and to do baptisms in the temple soon. E (my 1st baptism) is also doing great. I think that he is one of the happiest people I know right now. He loves teaching with us and is excited to receive the Priesthood soon.  I’m going to be sad to leave them both!!


This week we also taught D and N, who are trappers for a living. The picture attached is N and I with a beaver skin and a bobcat he trapped.

Photographic proof Ashlyn is "really" holding a dead animal.


 Yesterday, we spent driving around all day looking for HQ referrals. We encountered 2 scary dogs and a Rooster that had us cornered on a porch. It was a little bit disconcerting.

Ohh, I'm probably going to be transferred next Tuesday. It's depressing, but bittersweet as well. I feel good about moving on though. I love Corbin.  It's crazy to think that I've been out 7 months now. I was thinking yesterday and I decided that missions are a lot like the Women's Pull on Trek. I remember that Trek was a lot of fun, but certain times, like the Women's Pull, were really, really hard. At the time, I honestly didn't think I could pull that handcart  that far. But, I just did what I had been asked to do and focused on just the next hill or the next boulder or tree. It's a lot easier to focus on the next immediate goal than to think of the big picture.  Maybe that's the trick to enduring to the end, just focusing on the next short-term goal. I will just work my best until transfers, then I will work hard to contribute to and learn my new area. Then I will work until Conference, then Mother's Day and then my birthday and then my year mark, and then mom's birthday, Halloween, Paige's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Dad & Hailey's birthday and then finally--I will work at enduring to the end. 

Sister S & I found little purple pansies growing in our yard! :) When she was little, her mom sung her that song too. It was a sentimental moment for us. ♥♥






Have a wonderful week!!
Sister Ashlyn Galloway

No comments:

Post a Comment